put up修建 so far 到目前为止
up to now 到目前为止 till now 到目前为止
get away from摆脱 a great many 许多；大量
a number of 许多；大量 go up上升
add…to…往……加入…… used to 过去（常常）……
in the area of 在……领域 be proud of 为……感到骄傲
be supposed of应当；理应
consist of 由……组成 as well 也
become known as作为……而出名；被称为……；叫作……
go down 下降 come up with 提出
from that momenton 从那时起
compared with 与……相比
1. Our school ________ (组织) a party to welcome the new students.
2. Many African people die of __________ (饥饿) because of drought.
3. Many people come to visit the ________(吸引人的) West Lake all the year round.
4. Luckily enough, he is one of the _________(幸存者) of the earthquake.
5. ________(幸运地) enough, he was admitted to a key university.
6. Almost 50% of those ______(调查) said they supported the president’s decision
7. His father was so poor that he couldn’t _______(买得起) so many sweets.
8. With the final examination __________(接近), we are feeling more and more nervous.
9. I saw some great ________(建筑) on the trip.
10. He lives in the _______(郊区) of Beijing and works in the city.
1. It’s very important for man to keep the ___________ (天平)of nature.
2. The members of the club discussed the problem for a whole afternoon, but they didn’t come to any ______________ (结论).
3. All of our family were _______________ (惊愕的) to see my cousin seriously hurt in the match.
4. As is well known, metal ___________ (收缩)as it is cooled .
5. In my grandmother’s time it was quite out of ____________ (普通的，平常的)for a woman to go to university.
6. How did your mother ____________ (反应)to the news?
7. The soldiers were __________ (装备)with the latest weapons.
8. A plan began to ___________ (形成)in his mind.
9. It’s better to drink __________ (开了的) water .
10. What is your _________ (目标) in life?
Advice to “sleep on it” could be well founded, scientists say. After a good night’s sleep a problem that seemed impossible to solve the night before can often appear easier, although no evidence has proved this by now. But researchers at the University of Luebek in Germany have designed an experiment that shows a good night’s sleep can improve insight(洞察力）and problem-solving. “If you have some newly acquired memories in your brain, sleep acts on these memories, restructures(重构）them, so that after sleep the insight into a problem which you could not solve before increases,” said Dr. Jan Bom, a neuroscientist, at the university. To test the theory, they taught volunteers two simple rules to help them put a string of numbers into a new order. There was also a third, hidden rule, which could help them increase their speed in solving the problem. The researchers divided the volunteers into two groups, half were allowed to sleep after the training while the remainders were forced to stay awake. Bom and his team noticed that the group that had slept after the training were twice as likely to figure out the third rule as the other group. “Sleep helped,” Bom said in a telephone interview. “The important thing is that you have to have a memory representation in your brain of the problem you want to solve and then you sleep, so it can act on the problem.” But Bom admitted that he and his team don’t know how restructuring of memories occurs or what governs it or in which stage of sleep it works. Pierre Marquette and Pierre Ruby of the University of Liege in Belgium said the experimental evidence supports the suggestions that sleep can promote creative thinking. Although the role of sleep in human creativity will still be a mystery, the research gives people good reason to fully respect their periods of sleep, they added.
36.The underlined phrase “sleep on it” in the first line probably means _____.
A.to put something aside to be solved until the next day
B.to get as much sleep as possible
C.to go on sleeping without being disturbed
D.to sleep till you get up the next morning
37.Jan Bom and his team carried out the experiment through _____
A.comparisonB. interviewC. surveyD. imagination
38.It can be inferred from the passage that _____.
A.people should sleep so long as they have time
B.sleep is the only way to solve hard problems
C.people have various periods of sleep
D.people know how sleep restructures memories
39.What would be the best title for the passage?
A.How Sleep WorksB. Sleep Helps Solve Problems
C.No Evidence, But Well FoundedD. Bom’s Discovery On Sleep
40.Where is the passage most likely to have been taken from?
A.A science fiction.B. A book review.
C.An advertisement.D. A newspaper.